2023 Charles Schwab Technology Audit Internship
Do you want to spend your summer internship with a company that has been challenging the conventions of the financial services industry for over 50 years? Schwab’s mission is to help our clients build a better future for themselves, their families, and their communities. It is summed up in our tagline – Own your tomorrow – and it permeates everything we do.
The design of the program invites interns to engage directly in Schwab’s culture of service, while challenging them with a blend of learning programs, team-building activities, networking opportunities, and enriching work projects. Features of our 2023 program include:
- Business Track Project: Working with your host business track at Schwab provides a meaningful and valuable experience to translate classroom learning into real business projects.
- Intern Cohort Project: Partner with other interns to brainstorm, discuss learning experiences, and present solutions.
- Learning Activities: Participate in facilitated training, team discussions and events, individual assessments and activities, senior leader meetings, and on-the-job training.
- Dedicated Intern Leader: Receive regular feedback from your leader, participate in career-related discussions, and provide your own feedback.
- Strengths Application: Learn about yourself and how to apply your unique strengths, abilities, and goals to the work you do as part of Schwab’s ‘strengths-based’ culture.
- Networking: Build your network by interacting with professionals across Schwab, including senior leaders, peers, and Schwab Intern Academy Alumni.
Because interns are considered a primary pipeline for full-time opportunities, every intern candidate must be eligible for full-time employment upon graduation and must also meet the following requirements:
- Enrolled in a current undergraduate or graduate program tracking to graduate between August 2023 and June 2024
- Ability to work full time and be on-site at assigned Schwab location during the 9-week program (June 5 to August 4, 2023)
- Have specific skills as specified by the hosting Business Track
Schwab is recognized as an industry leader, and our welcoming culture will embrace your individuality and partner you with other like-minded and solution-focused students. We will invest in your summer experience by providing you direction and leadership for a robust and well-rounded internship, as well as helping you focus on a potential future career with Schwab.
Regardless of which opportunity you pursue, we will provide you with a consistent and outstanding experience – one you won’t soon forget!
What you are good at
We look for students with:
- Optimism and curiosity, who possess a keen sense of purpose, awareness, and knowledge and who have the demeanor of an everyday leader
- Resourcefulness and flexibility, who enjoy working through cross-functional partnerships and collaboration to achieve a common purpose
- An innovative and questioning demeanor, who constantly look for better ways to do things, have a passion for service, and seek to exceed client
What you have
- A strong desire to build and grow a career in the financial services industry
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral)
- The courage to ask “why”
There are many different business tracks that you can engage with over the course of the summer. Some of the tracks that will host 2023 interns are:
- Corporate Risk Management
- Digital Services
- Human Resources
- Internal Audit
- Investor and Client Service
- Model Risk Management
- Retirement Business Services
- Schwab Charitable
- Schwab Asset Management
- Schwab Branch Network
- Schwab Technology Services
- Workplace Financial Services
You can find additional program information at:
We encourage you to apply for all positions for which you are qualified and interested. To formally apply and be considered, use this link:
Internal Audit – Technology Team Intern
We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to add new value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day.
We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for dedicated, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Internal Audit Department (IAD) of The Charles Schwab Corporation provides independent and objective assessments to determine whether all significant risks are identified and appropriately reported by management and risk functions to the Board and Executive Management. Internal Audit uses a systemic, disciplined approach to evaluate whether risks are adequately controlled, and to challenge Executive Management to improve the effectiveness of governance processes, risk management, and internal controls.
The department is split into five Enterprise Teams: Technology, Broker-Dealer/Asset Management, Bank, Corporate, and Professional Practices. All interns will have the opportunity to participate in department-wide functions and will have exposure to other groups within Internal Audit.
Internal Audit interns will apply and be aligned to specific IAD Enterprise Teams during their internship.
The technology department is responsible for the execution of infrastructure and project audits. Infrastructure audits focus on systems and technology that support and secure Charles Schwab applications with a focus on areas such as cybersecurity, data center, IT operations, organizational change, network security, and cloud computing. Project audits are assessments over key initiatives to determine whether intended business objectives were met and to identify risks or issues early.
What you will do:
- Assist in planning and performing audits within various business divisions.
- Participate in internal team meetings, as well as meetings with the business.
- Perform internal audit controls testing and issue follow-up testing.
- Assist with Internal Audit operational tasks such as management of audit status, issue status, audit file preparation and implementation.
- Be responsible for managing your own tasks and letting teams know of your availability for work.
What you have:
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task, demonstrating an ability to analyze and prioritize to meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to work as a member of a project team and cultivate a strong working relationship with colleagues.
- Demonstrates willingness to learn and grow.
- Initiative to research, understand, and analyze a variety of situations or processes.
- Degree programs considered: Information Systems, Computer Science, Accountancy, Internal Audit, Business Technology
What you will learn:
- How to analyze and understand highly sophisticated business problems that are part of operating in the financial industry.
- To implement and examine various audit plans and learn control testing strategies.
- To complete internal audits in accordance with departmental procedures.
- To identify and assess inherent risk and controls to mitigate those risks.
- To perform audit issue follow-up and document results of that testing.
- How Internal Audit operates in a highly regulated environment.
- How Internal Audit operates within the enterprise risk management framework as the third line of defense.
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.