Principal Cloud Architect
*This role can be remote*
At Schwab, the Cloud organization within STS Technology governs the strategy and implementation of the enterprise cloud, data warehouse, data lake, and emerging data platforms. The organization’s mission is to drive activation of business applications, data solutions, employee engagement technology, and client intelligence to achieve targeted business outcomes, address data risk, and safeguard our position.
We are looking for a strategic-minded, individual contributor, technology leader with a consistent track record of identifying gaps, defining roadmaps, and seeing solutions through from conceptualization to fruition. This role will provide technical leadership to multiple engineering and operation teams, develop platform architecture blueprints, guide the development of junior engineers into individual-contributor leaders, and bridge the gaps between platform teams with application and central architecture teams. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in software engineering, architecture, and large-scale delivery in a fast-paced, agile environment, and must be capable of influencing across the enterprise by partnering with business and technology partners to drive product vision and execution.
Our Principals help advise the platform organization in technology strategy, managing between the immediate demands of ensuring production reliability, the near-term goals of key firm-wide projects related to growth and modernization, and the need to align towards and deliver future technologies. Candidates should bring with them a passion for new technologies with a practical and realistic approach that ensures the realization of those technologies.
What you are good at
- Define target state architecture for the Cloud Services sub-organizationsand collaborate with peers to drive a three-year roadmap into achievable goals
- Identify and communicate the gaps in ownership and coverage between teams and technology solutions
- Promote awareness of security principles and standards in architecture and development community
- Mentor and guide architects and tech leads on design, code standards, and performance.
- Be highly visible in the communities of practice at Schwab, build and sustain good working relationships with development teams and involve them in the overall application and platform strategies
- Shepherd key initiatives of interest such as migration to new datacenters and new high-availability topologies, volume growths due to acquisitions, and adoption of emerging platforms
What you have
- Master’s degree in Computer Science preferred
- Demonstrated client compassion
- Breadth and depth of knowledge of web technologies, patterns, frameworks and industry trends, etc.
- 15+ years of progressive software engineering experience
- 5+ years of practical experience with architectural, engineering, and operational aspects of AWS, GCP, or Azure cloud technologies
- Experience architecting, or leading development teams of, cloud-based or cloud-ready apps
- Strong history of making technical decisions at the application and organization level (vendor/technology selection, solution architecture, assessing tradeoffs)
- Experience with Agile development methodology
- Experience with DevSecOps, CI/CD and GitOps processes is strongly preferred
- Experience with Cloud Compute and Containers is a plus
- Experience with Cloud AI/ML is a plus
- Experience with Cloud Middleware platforms such as MQ, Caching, and ETL is a plus
- Experience with Atlassian suite preferred (Jira, Confluence, Bamboo, Bitbucket)
- Demonstrated ability to define and communicate technical strategy/vision and influence across Schwab is essential. As well as effectively encourage and influence teams and partners in delivering technology-enabled business solutions that meet business needs
- Ability to complete at scale in a dynamic environment
- Ability to build positive relationships and promote collaboration, to coach, mentor, and provide direct, timely feedback
What’s in it for you
At Schwab, we’re committed to empowering our employees’ personal and professional success. Our flexible work options, supportive culture, and focus on your development means you’ll get the tools you need to make a positive difference in the finance industry.
We offer a competitive benefits package that takes care of the whole you – both today and in the future:
- Base salary + bonus opportunity (for eligible positions)
- 401(k) with company match and Employee stock purchase plan
- Paid time for vacation, volunteering, and 28-day sabbatical after every 5 years of service for eligible positions
- Paid parental leave and family building benefits
- Tuition reimbursement
- Health, dental, and vision insurance