Senior Counsel, Banking Lending (Director - Legal Counsel)
Schwab is looking to hire an experienced attorney to join its Banking, Retirement and Trust Legal Group as Senior Counsel, Bank Lending Products (Director & Legal Counsel) to be based in Westlake, Texas. This Director and Legal Counsel will join an existing legal team that supports CSB, CSPB and CS&Co’s lending initiatives.
As a member of the Banking, Retirement and Trust Legal Group in Schwab’s Legal Services Department, you will be responsible for providing legal advice and counsel with respect to the legal and regulatory aspects of CSB, CSPB and CS&Co’s bank lending initiatives, including Schwab’s Pledged Asset Line of Credit (“PAL”) product (a non-purpose revolving line of credit secured by investment collateral), mortgage products, unsecured lending, margin lending, loans made by Schwab affiliates and the development of new bank loan products.
The successful candidate will assist on transactions across the Bank's multi-layered lending platforms. This position will work closely with client-facing Senior Bankers, Credit and Operations colleagues with loan transactions from origination through the life of the loan and will also interact with other Schwab attorneys to assist on broader legal matters.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to work in the office and/or at home based on their preference*
- Employees may have the flexibility for a hybrid schedule, where they divide their time between working remotely or in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss additional flexibility options based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
- Learn more about our WFP here
*Subject to change. Schwab is continually evaluating its approach to ensuring the safety and well-being of our employees
What you are good at
- Work closely with cross-functional business partners, as part of a dynamic legal team, in support of Schwab’s lending initiatives to Affluent Clients, High Net Worth Individuals and Ultra High Net Worth Individuals, including its Pledged Asset Line of Credit, mortgage products, advisor loans, margin lending,
- unsecured lending, franchise loans and new loan products
- Provide legal support to Schwab’s Investor Services and Advisor Services businesses
- Provide advice and guidance on the laws and regulations impacting secured and unsecured loan origination, maintenance, servicing, loss mitigation and new product development
- Knowledge of the following laws and regulations: Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) Articles 8 and 9; Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP) principles; Federal Trade Commission Act; Truth in Lending Act (TILA/Reg Z); Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA/Reg. V); Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
- (FDCPA); Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA/Reg. B); and other laws affecting consumer and commercial lending
- Experience advising clients with respect to legal issues arising in lending, consumer protection, private banking, financial services and operations
- Support the development and implementation by the Legal team of processes, procedures and metrics to increase the overall effectiveness of the legal services provided to the company
- Identify and advise of risks and provide practical solutions to address risks identified in conjunction with business needs
- Provide appropriate counsel and guidance to identify, mitigate and provide practical solutions to address risks identified in conjunction with business needs
- Review and advise on loan provisions, complex borrower organizational documents, loan structuring, new loan products, strategies, implementation and improvements
- Draft, review, and negotiate agreements, contracts, other legal documents and build standard forms as necessary.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies, procedures and standard processes and advise business divisions and senior management of potential legal risks and implications of the same.
- Assign, manage and supervise matters to outside counsel.
- Advise on default and loss mitigation strategies
- Support bank compliance and regulatory activities as they relate to Banking and Trust Services
What you have
- J.D. or Master of Laws from an accredited law school and state bar admission in good standing. (Texas, AZ, NY, NV, CA, IL preferred)
- At least 5+ years of transactional legal experience with either a U.S. law firm and/or in-house legal department with a focus on bank lending transactions and related matters
- Will strongly consider a savvy, flexible bank lending attorney with experience handling a variety of deal types, including secured or unsecured lending, mortgages, securities based lending and troubled debt/loss mitigation.
- Knowledge of applicable banking laws, including the CRA and related law and guidance.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to collaborate with all levels of staff including senior management.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Proven track record to establish foundations for influence, building credibility and open, positive relationships.
- Team player with a strong focus on collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond to shifting requirements and business obstacles, and achieve practical solutions.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated judgment to evaluate risks, costs, and benefits.
- Demonstrated eagerness and ability to seek and embrace new technological solutions
- An understanding of banking laws, regulations, secured and unsecured debt transactions and the UCC
- Familiarity with private banking offerings, including credit products and estate/trust law
- Strong leadership and eye for business including the ability to adapt to change and drive business growth, conceptualizing and implementing strategic objectives, and navigating dynamic practice areas
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future. Explore further.
Schwab is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to any status that is protected by law. Please click here to see the policy.
Schwab is an affirmative action employer, focused on advancing women, racial and ethnic minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities in the workplace. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-275-1281.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.