Relationship Manager, Supervision & Controls
Supervision & Controls is an independent group responsible for providing supervisory support through direct supervision, escalation, oversight, analysis and supervisory risk assessments, to Schwab’s Investor Services (retail) group. Supervision and Controls vision is to be a trusted independent partner of all Schwab stakeholders that promotes business growth through effective risk management. We strive to improve business outcomes by providing and applying practical, consistent, effective and unbiased risk guidance that is grounded in a deep understanding of business goals as well as the regulatory and industry environment.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference.
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees.
What you are good at
We are looking for a Relationship Manager (RM) within the Supervision & Controls Department. This position will drive developments to the supervisory support we provide within CS&S of the Investor Services enterprise, and has a critical responsibility for relationship building with senior members of the CS&S Leadership Team. This is an Individual Contributor role with no Direct Reports and the role reports to the Director, Supervision & Controls.
A successful RM will be an inspiring leader in the S&C team and will require an outstanding ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with personnel across the organization, including colleagues within S&C up to and including senior leadership. The RM is also responsible for building the supervisory processes and tools required to identify, mitigate and handle supervisory issues in the Teams for which they have responsibility; therefore the candidate will require equally impressive technical supervisory knowledge, analysis and reporting skills to be successful in the role. This is a sophisticated role that requires a candidate with considerable industry and supervisory knowledge, excellent problem solving and project management skills and who can handle several projects simultaneously. Requires the ability to evaluate, develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Performing data and risk analysis and synthesizing that information for follow up and reporting
- Identifying, escalating and addressing issues and potential trends and outlier behaviors
- Providing advice and guidance on relevant firm policies and procedures.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to work independently, with minimum guidance.
- The ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize based on regulatory risk and business needs.
What you have
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory, control, risk management or compliance a must
- Solid understanding of industry standards and regulatory policies and procedures
- Ability to influence others through the development of strong working relationships and the use of effective communication
- Outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Ability to operate in a fast paced environment and must have the ability to both make decisions based on sound business judgment with information at hand and also to be able to quickly adapt to new circumstances presented
- Proven supervision and oversight skills displaying a track record of operating at both strategic and tactical levels
- Interest in creating change through operational improvements, training and streamlining functions
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently
- Ability to adapt to changing business conditions
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast paced, team environment
- Proven ability to prioritize business needs
- Active and valid Series 7 is required
- Active and valid Series 9/10 (8) or 24/4/53 is required
- Active and valid Series 4 preferred
- Active and valid Series 3 preferred
- Active and valid Series 34 preferred
- Active and valid Series 66 preferred
*In addition to the salary range, this role is also eligible for bonus or incentive opportunities.
What’s in it for you
At Schwab, we’re committed to empowering our employees’ personal and professional success. Our flexible work options, supportive culture, and focus on your development means you’ll get the tools you need to make a positive difference in the finance industry.
We offer a competitive benefits package that takes care of the whole you – both today and in the future:
- Base salary + bonus opportunity (for eligible positions)
- 401(k) with company match and Employee stock purchase plan
- Paid time for vacation, volunteering, and 28-day sabbatical after every 5 years of service for eligible positions
- Paid parental leave and family building benefits
- Tuition reimbursement
- Health, dental, and vision insurance