Manager, Treasury ALM Modeling
The Treasury Capital Markets (TCM) function within Corporate Treasury manages fixed-income investments in several portfolios totaling over $350 billion in balance sheet assets and over $100 billion in off-balance-sheet brokered deposit agreement notional investments primarily for the benefit of the Charles Schwab Corporation and its banking and broker-dealer subsidiaries. The Asset Liability Management (ALM) team within TCM is responsible for balance sheet management strategy, portfolio and brokered deposit notional investment allocation decisions, balance sheet modeling and analytics, market risk management, ALM derivatives, and net interest revenue forecasting.
As an individual contributor within the ALM team in charge of ALM Modeling, you will play a key role in the overall strategic optimization of the balance sheet and the NIM profile through the development and execution of balance sheet strategies in collaboration with business partners, including investment portfolio managers, risk partners, and product leaders across the firm.
In this role, you will be responsible for modeling, analytics, attribution, and automation related to all on-balance-sheet and off-balance-sheet exposures, including fixed-income investment portfolios, off-balance sheet brokered deposit notional investments, interest rate derivatives, and income modeling associated with all remaining components of the balance sheet. This role will work closely with the ALM Analytics team and ALM Strategy team to optimize our ALM positioning and support allocation decisions and strategy.
Workplace Flexibility Program: We're proud to support our employees in a working approach that allows you to bring your best self to work – whether that’s in the office or remote.
- Most Schwabbies have the opportunity to voluntarily work in the office or at home based on their preference*
- When the firm is ready to fully return to the office, employees will have the flexibility of a hybrid work environment, spending some time working remote and some time in the office.
- Employees and managers can discuss and decide what works best for them, with additional flexibility available based on their role, business needs, and individual circumstances.
*Subject to change as Schwab is continually evaluating the current environment in order to best care for the safety and well-being of our employees
What you are good at
- Drive front-office modeling, analytics, and optimization efforts with a focus on fixed-income, derivatives, and balance sheet modeling
- Enhance, streamline, and automate balance sheet analytics and forecasting
- Perform ad hoc analyses related to the investment portfolio, derivatives portfolio, off-balance-sheet notional investments, and/or the overall balance sheet
- Work collaboratively across ALM to achieve risk-return optimization mandate
- Combine external market conditions with internal factors to inform the optimal positioning of the investment portfolio through rate cycles, with a significant emphasis on risk management
- Collaborate with key business partners to drive portfolio analytics to support investment allocation decisions and strategy
- Conduct risk/return optimization considering internal goals/constraints as well as external/macro-economic factors
- Support ALM Strategy, ALM Analytics, and Investments teams via new and existing capabilities, tools, reports, attributions, and optimizations
- Leverage industry investment research and stay abreast of peer and industry trends
What you have
- 1-5 years relevant experience or combination of time in post graduate studies
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field such as Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Economics, Statistics, or Financial Engineering is highly desired. CFA, FRM or PRM designations a plus
- Expertise in balance sheet modeling and net interest revenue modeling
- Expertise with fixed-income investment modeling and analytics
- Proficiency with Python (or another general-purpose programming language) is desired
- Hands-on experience with SQL
- Direct experience modeling derivatives and associated hedge accounting a plus
- Strong knowledge of fixed income modeling in systems such as PolyPaths, BlackRock, Murex, Intex, Bloomberg, QRM, Calypso
- Enthusiasm to work in white space and the ability to create innovative analyses to help drive the strategy for the portfolio
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining composure in a potentially stressful environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
In addition to the salary range, this role is also eligible for bonus or incentive opportunities.
What’s in it for you
At Schwab, we’re committed to empowering our employees’ personal and professional success. Our flexible work options, supportive culture, and focus on your development means you’ll get the tools you need to make a positive difference in the finance industry.
We offer a competitive benefits package that takes care of the whole you – both today and in the future:
- Base salary + bonus opportunity (for eligible positions)
- 401(k) with company match and Employee stock purchase plan
- Paid time for vacation, volunteering, and 28-day sabbatical after every 5 years of service for eligible positions
- Paid parental leave and family building benefits
- Tuition reimbursement
- Health, dental, and vision insurance