Principal Solutions Architect - Trading Experience Technology
Schwab is looking for a Principal Technical Architect for its Trading Experience Technology (TXT) organization. The role requires individuals with passion for architecting and delivering modern software system solutions and patterns across IaaS, on-prem, cloud, desktop and mobile environments. This is an individual contributor role at the Director level that works and collaborates across various organizations, including Office of the CTO to define, build and execute strategic roadmaps and technology solutions. Additionally, this individual will mentor and consult with leadership, peers and engineers and enable the successful delivery of the TXT and STS key initiatives.
What you are good at
Engineering best practices (Programming languages, patterns and practices for client and server-side, coding standards - define and circulate best practices, performance, load, availability, resiliency, experience)
- Sets direction and oversight of performance, load, availability, resiliency, observability
- Reviews and help improve metrics for client-side performance, client experience, load-time, TTI and other related metrics.
- Looks at entire ecosystem and how various apps and services interact
- Oversee all technological risks and make sure that the described solution proves to be consistent while meeting all the necessary requirements.
- Work with greater org level Architects on SLAs, tooling (mPulse, resiliency, Libraries, etc.)
- Supports Tech leads on reviewing implementations to ensure adherence to standards (incl. automated unit, QA, perf & stress testing)
- Mentor and guide development team members in design implementation following the standards and patterns that you help define
Application Architecture and Design (Services / API, UX / UI, Presentation)
- Application architecture (patterns and practices), API standards
- SPA/Single-SPA architectures for client apps and related frameworks (Angular, React, etc.)
- Set up application standards and patterns w.r.t. caching, messaging, logging, etc.
- Application architecture (patterns and practices), UI/UX design standards, localization, accessibility, guide teams and solutions through various boards and governance councils
- Presentation of Design/Architecture across other teams
- Define and implement application-level standards and review for adherence
- Contribute to / Define / Review Enterprise level standards
- Work to ensure onboarding of new services to scanning and review to ensure adherence
Communications, Training, and education
- Represent local org concerns across enterprise partner forums influencing strategy and brining direction back team
- Create and curate a process of knowledge sharing and education within the team
- Owner of Technical OKRs inherited from the Office of the CTO; drives them within the org with the help of Delivery Mgrs.
- Drive Technology strategy and guidance within the org
- Blueprints, Cloud strategy, New Technology solutions.
Governance and Oversight administration
- Artifact approval - Threat Models, Application Architypes, Continuous modernization
- Application Portfolio Management, Attestations, etc.
- Document and own updates for architecture via latest Solution Architecture Documents version at the appropriate confluence location.
- Administrator of the Local Governance process, charter, members, agendas, record decisions.
What you have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or other relevant engineering discipline
- 10+ years of experience in Information Technology, 5+ years in recent roles with a focus on leading or influencing Architecture and Design
- 8+ years in a Technical Architecture Leadership role a plus
- Experience in architecting and implementing, end-to-end business solutions on Microsoft.NET platform and related technologies (ASP.NET/MVC, WCF, WPF, Web Services/API) .NET Standard, .NET Core that supports building and running next generation applications including:
- Multithreading/Parallel Framework
- Asynchronous programming
- Messaging (IBM MQ, Rabbit MQ, Solace MQ)
- Patterns – GoF, Microservices
- Demonstrated hands-on technical capability to work with development leads and teams in order to inspire and motivate teams to drive towards a better and elegant solution
- Provide Architectural guidance and coordination across multiple projects and teams.
- Participate in Architecture reviews and make sure it aligns with the organizations Architecture standards and guidance.
- Publish and present the architecture to high-level audience and can detail at an implementation level.
- Provide hands-on guidance and expert level assistance to developers on technical issues.
- Should be able to identify risks or issues with technology solution and design; provide guidance in order to make good decisions proactively.
- Work closely with Enterprise Delivery Managers, other Technical Directors, Functional Solution Architects and with business teams to design and architect technology solutions to meet client needs.
- Define, communicate, and enforce design/coding standards.
- Suggest alternative technical solutions, wherever applicable, to meet client requirements efficiently, and/or with greater reusability, and / or longer life.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to Architects/Technology leads to enable them to achieve their goals as per the respective technical career goals.
- Keep in touch with industry technical and business trends and track new/emerging technologies and evangelize their value within the development teams and beyond, and advocate for best practices, great usability, and exceptional quality.
- Experience in migrating and deploying web applications to Pivotal Cloud Foundry or other cloud platforms (GCP, Azure, AWS) is a plus
- Knowledge of the Middleware, Messaging, CI &CD, Testing, Data and Access management and other common frameworks is a plus.
- Knowledge of protocols e.g. TCP/IP, Web Sockets, MQTT, AMQP is preferable.
- Prior experience of using Splunk is preferable.
- Experience in Finance/Trading domain is desirable
Why work for us?
Own Your Tomorrow embodies everything we do! We are committed to helping our employees ignite their potential and achieve their dreams. Our employees get to play a central role in reinventing a multi-trillion-dollar industry, creating a better, more modern way to build and manage wealth.
Benefits: A competitive and flexible package designed to empower you for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive and flexible package designed to help you make the most of your life at work and at home—today and in the future.
TD Ameritrade, a subsidiary of Charles Schwab, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At TD Ameritrade we believe People Matter. We value diversity and believe that it goes beyond all protected classes, thoughts, ideas, and perspectives.